Forum home Fruit & veg

New Allotment Begun

Dear folks. I began an allotment in November 2020. It's huge and I've learned my first lesson to protect veg from pests. With a limited range of things to plant, outdoors, I learned about overwintering (and after digging about a tonne of topsoil away) planted broad bean aqua' Claudia, garlic, English shallots and French shallots for an early start in Spring. Have you begun an allotment this Winter? My shallots, have rooted, but my broad beans were dug up. Gutted. Keen to get ahead I put in a second crop of broad beans that are protected by fleece but their late in.

Your thoughts most welcome. Paul.

• @sustainedpeace I don't have an allotment, only the tiniest patch of back garden, but I wish you all the very best of luck! For me, it's not so much "pests" as the neigbourhood cats that give me trouble, as they seem to like relieving themselves all over my garden. I will have to dig up some onions and garlic tomorrow as a result.

My broad beans are doing okay (although a bit bent due to the netting deployed to discourage the cats), but my onions and shallots are a bit of a mixed bag. None have succumbed to pests, per se, but some have taken and are sending up shoots and the remainder have stayed sleeping and started to rot.

I think basically it depends on where you are and what the climate is like, but broad beans are fairly hardy and resilient, as far as I know, so I am going to cross my fingers and hope that all goes well for you.

Hopefully some of the more experienced gardeners on this forum (as this is the first year I have ever had a garden of my own) will be able to offer better advice.

Hope all goes well and that you are rewarded next Spring/Summer!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,534
    Hi there is an Allotment thread already on the forum you may find that useful. For many people a full size plot is a bit of a challenge at first so best to clear a part and deal with that first. You have done the right thing re-planting your Broad Beans, I am afraid on open plots there are many things that could have dug up your first ones, Crows & magpies will always "investigate" things as will foxes, you may not see them but they will almost certainly be around. Starting at this time is best as when the weather allows you can clear more ground so you will have a head start next season.
    Good luck.
    AB Still learning

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,804
    sustainedpeace 

Buy these two books of the interweb second hand.

The Vegetable & Herb Expert: The world's best-selling book on vegetables & herbs (Expert Series) Paperback – 7 April 1997

and

Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom

The first is how to grow stuff and the second is best read AFTER you have got the baisic

If it is huge make some 4 foot wide beds by the length of the site and cover it all in membrane.

GroundMaster 1m x 10m Heavy Duty Weed Control Fabric Ground Cover Membrane

This will stop weeds growing so in March all you have to do is lightly weed and then sow.

December is the time to buy some garlic from the veg shop and sow cloves so you will have a never ending supply.

One clove will give you @8

Onion sets can go in now.

Now is the time to ask yourself why do you want an allotment

Feed yourself
    A place to escape to
    Something to do.

Learn about " No Dig " and crop rotation , watering and the different types of soil, the amazing benefits of horse manure and the absolute necessity to plant permanent flowers for the bees as below

https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/products/phacelia-green-manure-seeds

happy reading 
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.