Forum home Wildlife gardening

Where are the Goldfinches?

• We have been talking about the lack of goldfinches at our feeders this year. We didn't even see juveniles this year when we normally do.
  • My neighbour & I 'share' a more-or-less resident "Charm" of goldfinches. Yes, they can be quite stroppy, but mostly towards their own kind!! Such a delight to see (& hear) as they flit 'chirruping between the garden/s & feeders. Bring 'em on, I say!!
  • I didn't know that Goldfinches did winter  :o .
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • We've had plenty here all year, one female even nested in the ivy on the front of the house. Lovely to see the baby ones come to the feeders with mum and dad :)
    The chaffinches have done especially well this year, with lots of babies, which is good news, as the RSPB was expressing concern about their numbers earlier.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,733
    As long as I supply plenty of sunflower hearts there will be numerous Goldfinches on my allotment/garden. It would be impossible to count them all. They are here all the year round. Any other birds don't get a look in and have to resort to the fat balls and peanuts. There are plenty of ground feeders to pick up the dropped seeds. I am surprised they ever get to eat any as they are squabbling all the time but two large filled feeders are empty in two days. 
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,808
    That is the usual here.The feeders with the sunflower hearts in haven't been touched this winter but plenty of time yet maybe.
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 224
    They don't go for the fatballs or the seeds in the feeder outside our living room window here in S.E Wales , no they come to feed on a few tall Teasels next to the feeders, just a joy to watch at this time of the year , but not to be seen other times of the year. That's wildlife and nature for you.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,360
    Lots of Goldfinches and their offspring still coming here,but we didnt see many Siskins,and last year there were masses,quite tame little birds too. Also South Wales.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • As an adjunct to my previous comment: the 'resident' goldfinches are sOOO picky - they're ignoring the 'natural teasel heads which are on offer throughout my garden!!! Far too busy gorging on the 'ninja' seeds [my g/daughter's term!!] in next door's fly-in eatery!!.....BIG HUFF from DM!!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,223
    Got lots of goldies here and a lovely noisy rowdy flock of starlings too.