Forum home Plants

Calla Lily rhizomes

Hi, I’ve just dug up a calla lily I bought earlier this year as I believe you can keep them over winter to plant in spring time. The one I’ve got has lots of straggly roots attached and I wondered if I should remove these or if they’ll fall off during the curing process which I’m about to start. I’ve attached a photo....

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,630
    If I were you, I would put the whole thing into a pot of damp or dry compost (it can be old used compost), and put the pot somewhere cool and dry for Winter.  We store our pots in an unheated greenhouse and this works fine.  I start watering them very sparingly in early Spring, just so the tubers don't dry out.  I then start watering regularly, and give a weekly liquid feed from Spring through to Autumn.  I put the pots out once all risk of frost has passed.

Having said that, I inadvertently left some tubers in the ground a few years ago, and they survived Winter.  In warmer parts of the UK they could probably be left in the ground over Winter, as long as it's free draining, and they are mulched.  I prefer not to risk that, so we only grow them in pots now.  The tubers can be divided in Spring, and will help invigorate the plant.