Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple Pips

From a organic apple I had 2 pips that had the tail of a root on them Ihave planted them in a pot of compost and they are shooting. Hope they keep going. Any one else done or had success ay this? Here is hoping. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,277
    It’s something we’ve all done at some time, I’m sure.

Trouble is, you know who one parent, the mother, was - the variety that you bought in the shop. But who was the father? In an orchard it could have been anything.

Your babies will need to be grafted after several years, to ensure that they don’t grow to forty feet tall. And it will be several years after that before you get to see what kind of apple they are.

A bit like taking in a six day old waif from an orphanage. They could grow up and turn out to be Mozart. Or they could turn out to be tone deaf.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi pansyface
    I know what you mean but a good project to do with the Grandson as it was his apple.
    😁

You can name it after him.  It might make his fortune. 🙂
  • WibbleWibble Posts: 89
    Husband found sprouting pips in an apple about 3 years ago, so planted them just to see what happened. Got 2 saplings to grow - one perished last winter but the other still going strong.

I don’t expect to get any fruit from it, it was really just an exercise in curiosity.
    Yes, I have half a dozen pesr trees in the garden that came from a core that I once threw away. 

It’s amazing how different they all are in terms of vigour, colour of leaf, size of leaf, spininess etc. 

I shall never see them fruit but they give the birds somewhere to perch.
  • Thanx pansyface
    Same here at least we will give our feathery friends a helping hand.