Forum home Plants

Blooming roses!

Hi all,

It’s now almost mid-December and my rose bushes are still flowering. They don’t even appear to have lost many leaves. 

We’re on the east coast of Ireland, so we’ve only had a couple of frosts so far, but I’m surprised to see new buds still coming through on a couple of the bushes. 

I’m wondering if I should just go and prune them now in order to give them a decent dormant period before Spring arrives (February here). 

Does anyone have any similar experience/advice?

Thanks in advance! 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,320
    I have rose Moonlight (as a climber) which blooms every year from spring until the following January - not a lot of flowers over winter, but atm there's probably about 30-40 still on it.
    It's the temperature and light that will cause dormancy, pruning wont induce dormancy.

If you have a shrub rose, it's usual to give them a trim in autumn/winter just to prevent too much wind rock, then prune properly in Feb/March

I'm no rose expert, but if you let us know the variety of rose you have, someone may be able to offer more specific advice.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,346
    I just leave them and enjoy the flowers. I couldn't say whether it's the right thing to do..
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I've still got 3 with  flower buds opening and we had 4 days of decent snow cover over last weekend!
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,346
    It's usually about January before they completely finish here.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,998
    Some of my roses are covered in small buds.
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    It's normal in mild areas. Modern roses don't need to be completely dormant. Just prune when you would do it normally (February or late January) and remove the leaves still left to prevent disease in the next season.
  • Thanks for the advice, everybody! I’m not entirely sure of the variety, so I shall leave them as they are and hopefully enjoy them until the new year.  :)
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 713
    edited December 2020
    Pete.8 said:
    I have rose Moonlight (as a climber) which blooms every year from spring until the following January - not a lot of flowers over winter, but atm there's probably about 30-40 still on it.

That rose sounds amazing @Pete.8  What colour is it? (I tried to google but different varieties with the same name came up). 
    I am looking for a good climbing rose that produces flowers for as long as possible to plant next to a pergola which we are planning to build next summer. 
    Surrey
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,320
    It's a semi-double white.
    Deep red new stems in the spring contrast well with the flowers which are bee friendly, but barely scented.

I planted it many years ago and let it do its own thing. Overall it's about 15ft wide and a few stems up to 8-10ft high. There are flowers for about 9 months of the year.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • That rose ticks all boxes. Thank you very much for the info and the lovely pics @Pete.8
    Surrey