Forum home Garden design

Garden Design

Hello,
We are now doing our patio and I would really like someone to to design garden.  Previous self attempts  have failed as I have just plant plants that look nice at the garden centre without working out the logistics of whether they are suitable for our garden location and soil system.
Pity me, I am a late starter just discovered the love of gardening at age 52!

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    You could ask at your local garden centre if they offer a design service.  Or, if you live near a college offering horticultural courses, they may have students looking for practical experience in design.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, a good starting point is looking at neighbours' gardens to see what grows well for them.  There's loads of information about individual plants, their likes and dislikes, how big they grow etc, on the internet and in books.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Look online and in your local press. There are garden designers all over the place, down here. You could give some thought to what your local conditions are and what you really like and save a fortune. There are also many books and magazines brimming with ideas for you to consider.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,039
    You’ll probably find garden designers’ business cards pinned on the notice board in local garden centres. You could also ask for recommendations on your neighbourhood Nextdoor.com network.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,240
    For real personal benefit/education, why not look for a local horticultural Society or gardening club?
  • Thanks so much for all your useful suggestions.
  • I’ve just enrolled on an online planting design course with Learning With Experts and it’s absolutely brilliant. We are about to have our tatty garden landscaped, leaving me with completely bare beds that will need planting. I can’t afford to get a professional planting designer in and want to get some skills of my own / nurture a new hobby so looked up courses. I honestly wouldn’t have had a clue where to start and although I’m still a bit scared of making expensive mistakes I feel like I’m going to be in a much better position to make decent decisions. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks ever so much for this.  I have engaged the services of a garden designer we are working with.  She has given us some really good ideas.