Forum home Plants

Good nurseries for bare root hedging plants?

Hi everyone, 

I'm not familiar with where information is on this site - could anyone recommend a good source of bare root hedging plants, or point me in the right direction to the resource that would contain that info?

thanks in advance for any replies, 

Sian 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    This site doesn't do commercial info except thru advertising as far as I know.

Let Google be your friend.  Just enter "bare root hedging" and you'll get suppliers and some how to videos.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We got our Privet from hedgesdirect.  Very happy with them but you should shop around.  You may find other suppliers are cheaper or local to you.  Smaller plants are easier to establish, so don’t be tempted to spend lots of money on bigger ones.  
  • I've always been pleased with the plants I've received from Buckingham Nurseries.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    Local nurseries and suppliers may have a more limited range than bigger companies like Hedges Direct so definitely worth checking prices but the HD site should include advice on best varieties fro t-your soil and situation.

Also best to buy "maiden" whips as they are cheap, easy to plant and establish very quickly.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • gjautosgjautos Posts: 427
    Second vote for buckingham nurseries
  • SlumSlum Posts: 385
    I've used Hopes Grove Nurseries with success
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    Have a look round locally. Last year I ordered Box hedging from Grasslands after extensive online research - they were the best value I could find for nice big plants with plenty of instant impact.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    We bought our laurels from this place,
    https://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/hedging/bare-root-hedge
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• We got our Privet from hedgesdirect.  Very happy with them but you should shop around.  You may find other suppliers are cheaper or local to you.  Smaller plants are easier to establish, so don’t be tempted to spend lots of money on bigger ones.  
    That's super helpful - I was contemplating going with 'bigger is better'. Thank you so much!
  • I've always been pleased with the plants I've received from Buckingham Nurseries.
    Thanks Rachel, I'll check that out!