Forum home Plants

Salt

Good evening all.  I put a couple of scoops of rock salt on my garden path which meanders through my beds and is on a slope.  Now concerned that run off may kill my young hardy perennials. I know that it will depend upon amount/concentration, but how sensitive are the plants and any thoughts on what I should do...if anything?

• Thank you...it was done without thinking!
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    Possible suggestion for temporarily making path non slip is to cover with bark or shredded tree branches for the winter then remove after the last frosts in spring. What is the path made of?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    How much do you really need to access it in winter? I only use a sprinkle of salt on the back door step and on the paved path to the front door. It doesn't really run off anywhere if it's just in the middle section of the path. An alternative is sand.
    My garden paths are gravel which means they're easier when covered in frost and snow, and no problem in wet conditions.
    I'm afraid putting anything over paving just means it slides on the paving, so isn't a solution and can be even more dangerous.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you both for replying.  It was a one off (I had workmen in the garden and could not risk them falling).  Wondering how much/little salt can cause damage?  I will use bark/sand in future.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    I wouldn't worry then @mikemawhinney. I can understand why you did that  :)

Please don't put anything loose over a solid path when it's slippy though. It's lethal. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks FG
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,327
    In Germany and Norway they spread grit (no salt) over fresh snow and ice. It soon beds down and forms a reasonably non-slip surface. By the end of winter there’s a really thick layer of compacted ice and grit. When the thaw comes they just sweep the grit up and store it ready for use next winter.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down