Forum home The potting shed

Best roasting potato?

B3B3 Posts: 21,463
Maris piper today. Crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle but grainy. Disappointing.
Which one's the best?  
You can mention amazing allotment varieties of you like, but supermarket ones would be more helpful😊
In London. Keen but lazy.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,432
    I like Roosters.  Fluffy inside, crisp outside.  I assume they're available in UK...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,463
    Yes. They are. Good choice😊
    MPs are great for mash, but maybe not roast😐
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I'm just really boring, always grow King Edward VII as they do for everything. Par-boiled, drained and cooled then into the hottest oil I can muster - OK now I want a roast!
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    There's no substitute😉 @herbaceous
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 234

Roosters for me as roasters, MP, KE and Desire are always slaughtered by black keel slugs, so I avoid them!
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    As you say @B3 are there none in the shops then?  Used to be a greengrocer's favourite but it's a while since I bought any standard veg.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    edited December 2020
    Yes. All suggestions are available😊
    I meant there's no substitute for a roast when you have the urge😉
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,984
    I adore roast potatoes but have never managed to make an excellent one  - crispy enough (I know some of the tips about bashing and dredging and thnings). I think I can't get my oven hot enough. And do roasties not destroy your oven with flying, boiling fat? When I try it, every inside oven surface is covered in oil and the house stinks to high heaven with boiling grease - even with all the doors open. I'm definitely doing something wrong. I love to cook, but this eludes me.

I don't often order roast pots when I'm out, for fear of that bitter, stomach-sinking disappointment when they turn out to be rubbish. There should be a special word for that.
    edited December 2020
    Gas 7 is high enough and you don't need that much fat if you toss the par boiled  potatoes in a little oil and wherever herbs You fancy(I use a crushed fennel seeds, rosemary ,salt and dried garlic mixtue) before you put them in a roasting tray with a few millimetres of hot fat in it. Turn them now and again during cooking.
    Have you been putting the spuds in wet? That's the only reason that I can think of for the spitting
    @Fire
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,984
    B, I dry off the tats thoroughly (or try) before putting them in the fat. I think it's more likely impatience - I have to leave them in long enough to get properly crispy - so that you have a proper 'crack' when you hit it with a knife. The same with perfect crust baked potatoes. Culinary high arts in my book.