Forum home Plants

Plant IDs

Hi everyone, I have just moved into a new house with a lovely big garden and I'm starting to make plans for how I'd like it to look. 

I'm not massively experienced so I have some plants that I need to identify and was wondering if anyone would like to give it a go please?

The first is a climber and sits in a pot climbing up the end of the pergola. It's looking a bit sad at the top and I'd like to train in properly. I believe it is a rose looking at the leaves and a few hips. But I'm not sure if it's a climber or a rambler and I really want to tidy it up but I'm worried ill damage it if I get it wrong.

The second one I have absolutely no idea. I cut a few stragglers off that were hanging into the neighbours garden and noticed the stems are hollow. It's quite large and untidy so would be helpful to know how to tidy it up. It also has very thick bright green (almost bamboo like) stems. 

Sorry for the long first post. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks. 

Kevin. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,772
    Hard to tell about the rose. I'd just prune off the skinny and straggly bits for the moment and see what happens when it flowers. Climbers flower on new wood and ramblers flower on old wood generally so you prune climbers in February/March and ramblers after flowering. But there are also ramblers that repeat flower to complicate matters.

The shrub is a Leycesteria, or Pheasant Eye or Himalayan Honeysuckle to give it its common names. It can be pruned back hard it you want to. It will re-grow from the bottom. Or you can trim it or you can thin out some of the stems. 

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited December 2020
    I can't tell you which rose variety it is but can tell you a rose of that size is far too big for that pot and needs to be in the ground.  I suspect it has already rooted through the hole(s) in the bottom of the pot (try moving the pot.)  If it has, the next thing to happen is that as the roots grow in thickness, they will eventually block the hole(s) and the pot will become waterlogged causeing the rose to die.  Hopefully a rose expert will be along to advise on variety and pruning, but I would cut it back to about 3ft, dispose f all the overgrown top growth and plant it in the ground.  It looks to be a vigorous variety and I'm sure it will reward you with lots of much healthier growth in the spring which you can train up and over the pergola again.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,772
    Oh dear, I'm so unobservant, hadn't even taken in the pot! At least it's the right time of year to get it out of the pot, even if you have to break the pot.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks very much 😁👍