Forum home Plants

Overwintering fuchsia, advice please

ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,908
I retrieved this fuschia from a flowerbed where it wasn’t  very happy ( very dry soil under a lot of mature trees) I popped it into a pot as a temporary measure late summer,  and was very surprised when it burst into bloom.
What should I do with it over the winter? Cut it back now, if so, how much. It’s very pretty and I’d love to keep it alive but not sure how best to care for it.
Any advice gratefully received.

Picture taken early December

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    If there are any cuttings on it,  you could try, I took 2 pieces off one of mine about 5 days ago, put in a little pot of water, roots starting to appear.  You’ll need to keep the little plant indoors over the winter though. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,908
    Thanks for the responses. It must be a hardy variety, it’s been out in the garden for a few years, just not thriving. I think it was a combination of too much competition from trees and shrubs, plus having been nibbled by the local rabbits. 
    Its really picked up since I put it in the pot. 
    Ive dashed out before it got dark, and taken a few cuttings, not ideal ones but worth a try. I’ve put them in water and will see if I’m lucky. I’ve had some success with a piece of hebe I pocketed on a recent walk. I’d almost given up on it but it did start sprouting roots after some weeks.