Forum home Plants

OK to order from Farmer Gracy for March delivery?

sarinkasarinka Posts: 270
Farmer Gracy has been emailing me from the Netherlands about his tempting bulbs and bareroots for next summer, with a Feb/March delivery. 

Would you order? 

Sorry if there has been a recent thread on this. I looked briefly but couldn't see one.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,478
    I have always had a good service from Farmer Gracy, both bulbs and bareroot plants,  but l haven't ordered this far ahead to be honest. It could be they are trying to work out the demand ahead of schedule, particularly in view of the current situation (and Brexit).
    As in all things, it's a risk as there is no guarantee that the items will be available,  but all suppliers have that problem. 
     :) 
  • I would email them and ask if they are satisfied that there will not be any unacceptable delays in delivery next year due to Brexit. 

I must say that, living in East Anglia as I do, and being aware of UK hauliers’ concerns, I’m erring on the side of caution.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• sarinkasarinka Posts: 270
    Thanks for the response, Anni. I haven't been following the Brexit stuff 🙈and didn't know if problems were anticipated. Probably should stick to local nurseries anyway, but my child adores the stationery FG sends and as you say they send good stuff.

I might risk a tiny order...

Thanks, @Dovefromabove. That's a good idea about emailing them. Bulbs don't matter so much, but you wouldn't want a bareroot sitting for weeks at the border, would you?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,933
    edited December 2020
    I presume these are summer flowering bulbs we’re talking about?  I’d want to get them planted ASAP so I wouldn’t want them sitting around on Felixstowe docks for too long either 🙄 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yes, I am after some black lilies and some of those fugly ugly bulbs that look like insects' heads / unmentionables.🙄
  • OmoriOmori Posts: 1,673
    I imagine things are going to be an utter clusterf until we’re past the teething stage. 
  • Peter Nyssen had some black lilies @sarinka if you don't want to take the risk...I can imagine the first three months of 2021 will be an utter mess. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Good idea. I feel very sorry for everyone who is going to lose business.