Forum home Plants

Dahlias

Hello, I have just dug up, washed off and dried out 34 Dahlias after their first year. Some are normal size, but others are GIGANTIC!!  They did very well in terrible weather conditions. We have cleared the whole bed, dug in 30 wheel barrows of topsoil to improve the soil quality for next year. Too much slate in a bed that had very old shrubs in when we moved in 3 years ago. My question is, Do I have to divide them now, or could I wrap them in newspapers ( I have labelled them) and put them away, then divide in the Spring? i am running out of energy!

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I agree, spring is better. Dry them off a bit before you wrap them up, though.
  • Thank you Janie B, and Posy, I will do exactly as you say. I am relieved to get a rest and thankful for your expertise! I am also thankful that I got them all in and cleaned in time as today here in the Welsh mountains it has started snowing!! It looks like gardening is a no no until the Spring now.

I would also like to thank all of the other gardeners who have helped me through a difficult couple of years when I was completely ignorant  of any skills and trying to re design a very tired old garden. I really appreciate all of you and your wise  and kind advice.

I wish you all a happy and safe Christmas.( If we are allowed one! )
    Best wishes .
    Hazel Lucas.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Best wishes to you and yours, too. Snow ? I'm impressed!