Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeding with rats in the garden

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can still feed the birds this winter when I have found it encourages rats in my garden? They seem to be able to climb up and still get feed from feeders which are supposed to be vermin proof . Also there is still spillage by the birds which encourages the rats too.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,513
    We have the same problem and I don't think there is any good solution. I've just ordered some more rat poison (already got the traps) in the hope of keeping the local rat population under control. The instructions say to stop feeding the birds temporarily so the rats get hungry.
  • FallonFallon Posts: 55
    edited December 2020
    Seems such a shame to have the birds go hungry.  I have been putting poison down for months. They keep taking it but never caught in the traps.  Little horrors!
  • From previous experience:

• Try and work out where they are coming from and is there anything you can do to disturb the 'nest' (unmaintained decking, neighbors messy garden)
    • Rat traps/poison
    • Change your seed mixture so there is less filler (less waste or birds flicking away seeds they dislike)
    • Grease your feeding station 

I agree. The stuff I've just bought is called Neosorexa, recommended by another poster. It's fairly expensive but I believe it's a professional grade poison ( you can't buy it in bulk unless you've got a certificate). I don't think the ordinary stuff is strong enough to kill the rats but I could be wrong.
    Apparently the rat population has exploded this year, it's been mild.
    edited December 2020
    Greenbird said:
    From previous experience:

• Try and work out where they are coming from and is there anything you can do to disturb the 'nest' (unmaintained decking, neighbors messy garden)
    • Rat traps/poison
    • Change your seed mixture so there is less filler (less waste or birds flicking away seeds they dislike)
    • Grease your feeding station 

Well we had all our decking removed due to them nesting beneath it, and a patio laid at great cost . We have removed any hiding places.They are too clever for the traps but they do take the poison away to where their nests are now or are eating it all. I have been doing this all summer. Our garden adjoins neighbours and I don't think they are doing anything to discourage them. I have mentioned it.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,614
    Our local pest man says putting out bird food of almost any description is like laying on a gourmet banquet and issuing gilt edged invitations to the local rat population....
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Topbird said:
    Our local pest man says putting out bird food of almost any description is like laying on a gourmet banquet and issuing gilt edged invitations to the local rat population....
    Yes. I had a rat man here and he said the same. 
    edited December 2020

Yes we have been using  Neosorexa and spent a fortune on poison. There must be loads of them

Oh dear, sounds like there's only one option left and that's to remove the bird feeders altogether, which I'm very loth to do.

Do you live in a city @Fallon?, I think the rat situation is worse there.

I nearly took my finger off this morning trying to bait a 'killer' trap - oops!! Don't think I'll use that one again, far too dangerous for someone who's a bit accident prone. 
    Yes.  Live in built up area. Never had the same problem when I lived in the country