Forum home Problem solving

Sowing question

SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 71
I am new at sowing (and relatively everything else garden-related for that matter), and I have purchased a few packs of seeds to keep me busy this winter. While I do not have a green house (only a cold frame), I have a large (heated) workshop - which is also my office - with big north-facing windows. I am installing shelves in front of the windows for my future seed trays but I worry that, while there will be warmth, I will not have that "sunny" window sill, ie. no direct sunlight ever.

Will it be an issue?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,777
    Your heated office will be fine to start the seeds off about mid March but as soon as they show you will need more light for them or they will grow leggy and weak. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• You can buy a basic grow light for £20. It will give them a boost while we wait on the daylight hours to increase.

There are some "gardeners" who grow their "crop" entirely indoors under grow light.  ;)
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 71
    Off to have a look at those as I am very short of south facing window sills, thank you @Dmcgrath50
    @Lyn Thank you for explaining the reason of the “legginess” of the first seeds I sowed 😬
  • There is a good deal on a LED grow light on amazon, black Friday offer.
    I ordered one at the weekend and some chilli pepper varieties