Forum home Problem solving

Mice in greenhouse

How Do I get rid of mice in the greenhouse?  Have used all sorts of traps some of which have had a small success rate.  As soon as I block up one hole they dig another !!
help

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,776
    You may find you have to share. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,214
    Humane traps with a bit of milk chocolate in works for me. Release them WELL AWAY from your greenhouse.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,817
    We have field mice in our cellar.

We have been humanely catching them for weeks now (and releasing them well away from the house) but there is no sign of any let up.

We have bought metal dustbins and now keep anything edible (or nibbleable) in them.

Maybe it’s just the one mouse. 🤔

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,214
    I think when winter threatens they look for a warm, dry place. I have often thought they must have some sort of internet to spread the news. They can get into the smallest spaces: I don't believe that you can ever block up the holes.
  • rao32rao32 Posts: 3
    Thanks folks for your thoughts 🐀
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,936
    We have to use mouse traps around our motorhome after a family decided to set up home in the engine compartment and started nibbling on cables.

The most effective solution has been strong spring traps laced with peanut butter in bait boxes. The boxes mean that the mice can't easily leap out of the way of the trap and there's reduced risk of other creatures being injured. Peanut butter is (apparently) irresistible and (we believe) death is usually quick.

We don't like doing it but you really wouldn't want us bearing down on a school crossing when they've been chewing on the hydraulic brake fluid tubing😬
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • rao32rao32 Posts: 3
    Gosh - your problem is much more serious than mine !
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 701
    @ I have a family nesting in the hen's straw in the greenhouse.  I leave a few grains of wheat out after I have fed the hen.  All grain is safely in plastic buckets with firmly secured lids.  They try to come in and I have tried the sonic repellents - do they work?   Hmmm.  I prefer to put traps in my house rather than poison as I find them quick snap shut!  Lights out!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.