Forum home Plants

Over wintering Chrysanthemums

I put my Chrysanthemums in pots in the greenhouse about 6 weeks ago and have read that I should cut them back in December.  They have stopped flowering now so I'm happy to do this. Should I cut them right back to the soil? Two of them have put on new growth towards the base of the plants - should I cut this back too?

• sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 261
    Following. Mine are still outside and still blooming, but only just. Had intended to grow them as annuals, but they have cheered me up too much this autumn to throw away!
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,200
    It depends what type they are. Hardy garden chrysanths can be cut back to the rosette of leaves at the base, mulched and left to get on with it but greenhouse varieties are not hardy and need to be kept frost free. When the flowers go over you can cut the stems away at the base but keep the crowns protected from harsh weather.
  • Thanks both.  Mine are not hardy, so will be spending Winter in the greenhouse.  We have a heater which comes on if the temperature dips below 1 degree, so it is frost free.  I will cut them right back then, and maybe put some mulch on the top as extra protection.