Forum home Problem solving

Low spot on edge of lawn

Hi folks I have been looking at my lawn and along one edge that faces the flower bed there is a low spot where it drops down for about 70cm along the length of it it ruins the look of things.Can anyone advice how to rectify this and suggest how to raise it,my friend said cut the turf out on that spot and then put top soil underneath then replace the turf,I have no idea if that's the best way?

• Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    That bark looks odd as the photo was taken through a window,I'm planting there next year :)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,889
    Yes, cut the turf into sections so there is about 2 inches (5cm) of soil left on each (take your time and make sure each section has the same depth of soil left), add topsoil to the area, walk over the new soil to compact it, adding more if necessary, rake it level so that the area is about 2" lower than the remaining surrounding grass, then re-lay the turves you cut.
    You may even be able to do it with minimal cutting by cutting under and rolling the turf back, adding topoil where needed and rolling the turf back.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    Yes, cut the turf into sections so there is about 2 inches (5cm) of soil left on each (take your time and make sure each section has the same depth of soil left), add topsoil to the area, walk over the new soil to compact it, adding more if necessary, rake it level so that the area is about 2" lower than the remaining surrounding grass, then re-lay the turves you cut.
    You may even be able to do it with minimal cutting by cutting under and rolling the turf back, adding topoil where needed and rolling the turf back.

Hi that sounds good rolling it back if I can,when do you think would be a good time to do this?