Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple tree recommendations

I want to give an apple tee to a friend who has an open north facing garden in Leeds. Slightly clay soil, must be self fertile and not too large. Any ideas?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    edited November 2020
    Do you think they’d like more of a cooker or an eater or both? If an eater, do they like crisp and sour or soft and sweet?

Size isn’t a problem, you just choose a variety that you like which has been grafted onto a small rootstock as opposed to a large one.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Spartan is self fertile. We grow this tree in clay soil but it is an open area facing SW.
    It is a great producer, lovely taste and keeps well.
    A gorgeous dark red fruit.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    I had the first proper crop off my Egremont Russet this year and they're amazingly tasty little apples, really different to the sort of apples you buy in the shops. Nice heritage variety too. I'm tempted to plant another one now just to boost my crop.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,963
    On my Allotment I have a Ribston Pippin which is one of the parents of cox, it is the most reliable cropper I have, but it is in an open position. I have it trained as an espalier so it takes up very little space.
    AB Still learning

• IpomeaIpomea Posts: 3
    edited December 2020
    Thank you so much everyone I am still researching! They would like an early cropper, maybe more green than red, eating apple?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    I have grown this apple in the past

https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/fruit-trees/apple/early-season-eating-apple/james-grieve

and I have bought trees from that supplier. Good trees, good service.

James Grieve came from Scotland so Leeds should be a doddle.

Both an eater and a cooker.

Early.

Greenish.

Partially self fertile, so you don’t need to have two trees, but as bees can easily fly for a mile or two there will probably be another suitable pollinating tree somewhere in the area.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.