Forum home Problem solving

Hurst Green shaft bottom leaves are pointing down?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. 
So I've taken a pea shoot from the soil and put it into a kratky set up as I'm new to hydroponics but the bottom leaves are now leaning downwards. 
Not exactly drooping,
There still firm. 
I've also got a new more powerful light then what it was under when in the soil. 

The leaves are still green and look healthy but some of the leaves are curling in. 

Would it be light burn, transplant stress, or have I damaged the roots?

Its been 2 days now and it still alive but its not as open as it was. 

Also the little shoot thing it has on my other 2 in soil are straight out but this one is all curled.

Anyone help? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,487
    We need to see photos please. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• We need to see photos please. 
    I've literally just uploaded one just found I could upload 
    Those leaves look well within the normal range to me.  I’d not worry about it. 

I’m curious 😊 What’s the purpose of growing this pea plant. 

I should explain that as a member of a farming family I struggle to understand growing plants without a purpose. Sorry. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Well I plant to grow more but instead of growing a load of them when I'm just starting out I choose to practise with some first.
    Before taking on loads of plants and panicking because i don't know what to do when I think there is a problem. 

it's like asking people why they grow roses in there garden. 
    It's growing as a hobbie also. 
    In lock down we all want something to do. 
    Whether I'm growing it for a hobbie or growing it for food is not the point. 

I don't have a farm I wasn't lucky enough to be part of a farming family or had a job that paid enough to afford a farm. 
    I have a small 1 bedroom house with a garden that hardly gets any light.
    So I have a tent to grow what I can. 

I have chosen to grow stuff that's edible because I'd like to grow stuff I can eat. 

That seems an odd thing to ask. 
    Are you asking people who grow plants that are just to look visually appealing in there garden?

I have another 2 pea plants in soil in my tent. 
    I'm also growing basil, coriander, parsley.
    Stir fry salad mix. 

Sorry I wasn't criticising ... or meaning to sound critical ... I'm genuinely curious.  And don't get me wrong ... I know I'm lucky to have lived on a farm but this was back in the 50s and 60s with mud and no money to repair the almost ruined farmhouse with no electricity and plants growing through the walls so that we had roses growing 'inside' ... and we were probably the children in the village with the fewest clothes and only second hand or homemade toys.  

I suppose what I was trying to say was why grow just one pea plant?  Why not grow a few more, then at least you can have a meal, a stir fry, an omelette or sandwich.  Just one little pea plant looked so lonely.  In the garden pea plants grow in a group so that they can help to support each other as they grow ... and they get quite tall ... Hurst Green Shaft will grow to about 1m tall so they need to grow up twigs or netting or something.  

As I said, I didn't mean to sound critical ... you're interested in how plants grow ... I'm interested in why people do things ... both reasonable interests I think.  

And as I said, your pea plant looks perfectly healthy to me  :)

• I'm just interested in growing generally anyway.
    I don't have the space to grow a lot until I get a bigger place. 
    I'm interested in hydroponics as you can grow more in smaller spaces and it costs less in the long run. 
    Also less work. 
    Lights are the upfront cost I guess but then once I have experimemted more I'll grow more. 
    Dwc for bigger plants and ebb and flow or aeroponics for smaller herbs. 

But I'm not going to spend a load on things until I know enough about it to know I defenatly want to go down that route.

Starting with kratky and upgrade a bit at a time. 
    If I had a lot of money I'd probably go all out a bit more but I don't. 
    So I have to take small steps at a time.

I grew up as what millennials would call porr now days but i don't consider it poor. 

It's kind of difficult to be poor in the UK in this day and age. You will never go hungry even if your are unemployed.
    Unless you really push yourself into that position. 
    The ones that are poor at the moment are the self employed and freelancers who don’t fit into any of the furlough or government grant schemes to cover loss of work due to Covid. A member of my family has only had three days work since February ... nothing else ... no rent money ... not a bean. 😞