Forum home Plants

Can anyone identify this lovely red flower?

On my chilling morning walks this lovely red flower keeps catching my eye, such colour for this time of year.

I have absolutely no idea what it is though.

Any ideas?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,201
    It’s Hesperantha Coccinea. Crimson flag lily.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 624
    Hi @Evecake,

It might be Hesperantha coccinea.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Wonderful, it certainly looks like it.
    I think I'll have to get some for my garden, such a cheerful flower for this time of year.

Thank you @Borderline and @Bee witched
  • cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 128
    Is it also known as a Kaffir Lilly? delightful isn't it.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,664
    edited November 2020
    cowslip2 said:
    Is it also known as a Kaffir Lilly? delightful isn't it.
    Sorry cowslip 2  I don't think that is politically correct to use that term any more.
    Quote www.....1. offensive•South African an insulting term for a black African.

Better never to use it..esp on forums.

The old name used to be Schizostylis coccinea now changed to Hesperantha coccinea.

........"commonly called Crimson flag or Crimson River lily is a clump-forming member of the Iris family that grows from a rhizome instead of a corm."

https://www.google.com/search?q=Schizostylis+coccinea&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKy_OwvqjtAhWEYsAKHYGeDsQQ_AUoAXoECAYQAw&biw=1280&bih=579
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,217
    Oh Lord! I must have been offending people for years! I can't spell, or pronounce Schizostylis and I've not heard it called Hesperantha. Life's getting too complicated for me.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 484
    @Silver surfer like @cowslip2 I had no idea the common name was offensive. I'm sure anyone using it would have done so innocently. We stand corrected.

• SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 321
    @Posy I know what you mean, I think the world is leaving me behind and I barely feel like a grown up yet! 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,784
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Evecake That could be Schizostylis coccinea ‘Major’, with its petals larger than the "normal" Schizostylis coccinea. See https://www.perennials.com/plants/schizostylis-coccinea-major.html
    Apart from being politically correct, another good reason to prefer the scientific/botanical names over the common names is that the latter can be applied to more than one species. Just found out that this is the case with "Kaffir lily", which can be either the Clivia miniata or the Hesperantha coccinea (formerly Schizostylis coccinea). ;)
    I've got a pale pink (almost white) Hesperantha coccinea specimen in my garden (in Brittany, France) which is in flower at odd times of the year, but mostly in autumn. Here's a pic.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,664
    edited November 2020
    Papi Jo said:
    Hi @Evecake That could be Schizostylis coccinea ‘Major’, with its petals larger than the "normal" Schizostylis coccinea. See https://www.perennials.com/plants/schizostylis-coccinea-major.html
    Apart from being politically correct, another good reason to prefer the scientific/botanical names over the common names is that the latter can be applied to more than one species. Just found out that this is the case with "Kaffir lily", which can be either the Clivia miniata or the Hesperantha coccinea (formerly Schizostylis coccinea). ;)
    I've got a pale pink (almost white) Hesperantha coccinea specimen in my garden (in Brittany, France) which is in flower at odd times of the year, but mostly in autumn. Here's a pic.

Sorry to be picky but to be Botanically correct 
    ALL Schizosylis are now in Hesperantha...the name was changed several years ago.
    So this could well be larger flowered one but that now makes it ...
    Hesperantha coccinea Major.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/303127/Crimson-flag-lily-Major/Details

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .