Forum home The potting shed

New to group and invite experts to speak on FB live to amateur gardeners

Hi everyone,

I am new the website and group and is an amateur gardener. Since I lacked the experience in gardening, most of my plants would bite the dust. This led me to create an IOT device (in the initial stages) to help people like me to realise the full potential of plants. I know there are many that are inexperienced like me and I want to learn from experts. I would like to invite people to speak on FB live to audiences, who has a similar passion. If you are interested, please let me know, I can prepare a plan and invite people. 

Thank you 

Jayan 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,796
    Hello, welcome to the forum. Yes, we have some experts and we have some who would like to think that they are experts and then we have the rest - 99.9% of us.

No idea what an IOT device is.

And I shudder to think about experts giving advice.

Just get stuck in and ask as you go along.

Every garden is different - soil, climate, aspect. Every plant is different. And every gardener is different.

But good luck anyway.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,030
    IoT = internet of things. I had to look it up and I am none the wiser.

Good luck with your initiative, Jayan but it would have no appeal to me.  I’m old school. If I want to know something I read a book, look it up online or pose the question on this forum. 

I would have very little interest in a self proclaimed expert offering advice on Facebook when there are already effective channels for seeking information.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,771
    There's GW and Beechgrove on internet and i-Player and no doubt ITV has its own equivalents.  Sunday morning BBC2 has 3 gardening programmes on with experts.   You Tube is heaving with people doing video blogs of their own patch or their particular plant or gardening passion and there are plenty of gardening groups already on FB.

This forum is populated by people who are keen on plants and gardens and like to chat, ask questions, give answers when they can based on their own experience.  We have people with experience rating from 0 years to all their lives so several decades and we enjoy the anonymity of these boards.  Some have qualifications to back up their knowledge but I doubt any of us has the authority of say Chris Beardshaw or Adam frost or Carol Klein.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Blimey!

It doesn’t provide me with anything other than the screaming heebi jeebies.

Gardening is a restful activity, not an opportunity to listen to some American voice give a contentless lecture.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,394
    edited November 2020
    Obviously a commercial venture ... the OP needs to read the Terms & Conditions of this site. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,030
    About as appealing as toothache.
    🤣

Who would pay good money to listen to that?

And why?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,771
    edited November 2020
    If it gets enough views the owner of the blog or video site or whatever gets advertising revenue from You Tube, FB etc.  It can be very lucrative, enough to earn a good living for some.

More a case or being paid per view rather than paying to view, or listen.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 122
    Me an expert?

On our allotment site we have a number of retirees who hand out advice willy nilly whether you want it or not, and they usually contradict each other half the time!

And the rest of us know nothing according to them, bless their souls.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 469
    Unfortunately @jayanabrahamzisTZl2t there are already plenty of online resources, Gardening with the Experts being just one. I'm not sure there is a market for your FB idea given you don't have the knowledge to weed out the self-professed "experts" from the truly qualified.