Forum home Problem solving

Laurel Hedging

These plants are about 9 years old now and obviously haven't grown well since we laid the driveway.  I want the privacy so haven't pruned them yet this year as they are very thin.  I've tried to feed them throughout the summer with fish and bone meal and tomato feed too.
Any advice on what I should do?  Should I cut them down a bit more so they can fill out and if so, is it too late to do it now?  Thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,843
    The way to make them bush out lower down is to cut the main trunks back. I think I'd leave it until spring now though. And don't forget to keep them well watered through spring and summer. It looks like there's paving close to them on both sides so there won't be much rain getting to the roots, even if it rains plenty, and there's been a lot of dry spells over the last several years which won't have helped them. Feeding won't help if they aren't getting enough water.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    This thread will tell you all you’ll ever need to know about thickening up a Laurel hedge https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/656523/help-needed-please-with-laurel-hedge-issues/p1

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Brill, thank you.
  • Great advice.  I need to read the full post and thanks Jenny, I will wait until Spring to cut them down now.  I did try to water them throughout summer as you say and feed too.