Forum home Plants

Perovskia Blue Spire (Russian Sage)

Does anyone have this in their garden? How is it looking? I planted some in raised beds last year or possibly early this year..  It was flopping around everywhere and I assumed it wasn't getting enough sun.  I've pulled it out of the bed and put in a large pot in the hopes that I can put it in a sunny spot...  Does anyone have some that is actually upright? thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,835
    edited November 2020
    Mine's fairly upright, and only gets sun for part of the day, but I have poor, well-drained sandy soil which it likes, and I prune it quite hard each spring. And I don't feed it (other than a light dose of chicken poo pellets that get sprinkled over the whole border now and again, if I remember to do it).
  • DahliadelightsDahliadelights Posts: 30
    edited November 2020
    thanks @JennyJ mine were in pretty dappled shade and just seemed to be stretching out for the sun or something.  Hopefully they will fare better in the pots.....gorgeous plants
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,835
    I hope you crack it and find a place that they like :)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,332
    It does that. I use two large circular supports for mine. 
  • @Bijdezee ah ok - in all the pics I've see it just looks nice and upright!  thanks  :)
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,963
    It needs as much sun and as little nourishment/water as possible!
  • @Loxley have put it against my sunniest wall :)
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,884
    Mine are fairly branching and wayward in growth habit, but the stems are upright, if that makes sense, just not as neat a plant as one would expect. They are in a south-facing raised bed against a hot stone wall, fairly inhospitable conditions, and need little water. One of the toughest, most drought-tolerant plants I grow. Just echoing what others have already said really, but do make sure you use a very gritty, low-nutrient pot mix, a rich soil will make them flop and flower poorly.
  • DahliadelightsDahliadelights Posts: 30
    edited November 2020
    thanks @Nollie it could be they have too many nutrients I'll try and deprive them somehow :)