Forum home Plants

Window Boxes

Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 627
My son has asked for window boxes for his South London house for Christmas, and I have ordered 3 x 90cm long boxes... now what to fill them with? He loves cooking, so I thought of a selection of herbs, but maybe some easy-care flowers for colour too... any ideas? Thanks. X

• You don't give the depth of the boxes or the orientation - that will help with suggestions :)
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 627
    Ooh, depth is 20cm. Not sure about orientation, tbh! I'll have to ask him if he gets much sun...

• Not very deep then - shrubby herbs like Sage and Rosemary ( like well drained and sun ) may struggle unless replaced every other year.
    Salads and leafy herbs may do but again, sun, shade, wind will make a difference to what would do best. 
    All year round use ?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,319
    If a more shady spot, mint might do quite well.
  • I'd say Mint is best avoided - it'll gradually take over the whole box :) Much better in a pot of it's own.
  • What about chillies? We gave our son some chillies grown from our seed from last years produce. They were in pots 2L and on his kitchen table in a flat. He had great return and has now got about 20 still ready for drying out.
    Chives?
    I agree with @philippasmith2 avoid Mint. Whilst it is a great plant especially Moroccan mint for tea, it does take the place over.
  • Best wait for the OP to give the orientation before suggesting too much ;)
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 627
    Thanks all... I've just google-mapped it, and the boxes will be south-facing. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    Why not just give him the boxes, with some compost and seeds, or a with a gift voucher for a GC to get some plants in spring  :)

It could be a  bit tricky getting decent plants at this time of year which will do  well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....