Forum home Plants

Tulip planting and this (relatively) warm weather

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 221
I am champing at the bit to plant my tulips, but it's just so darned warm. The lowest we have had so far is about 4 degrees (in the night). Do I need to wait for a frost/o degrees? I am worried that my tulips will go mouldy/start to rot as they did the year before last. They are in bidodegradable bags with holes or paper bags in a paper box. if I had known I'd be waiting this long I might have rigged something up to store them better (wihtout mixing htem all up.)
They are mainly going to be going into pots.
Nothing lower than 4 degrees forecast by the met office in the next week. Most days the minimum temp is higher than that.
Am I being over-cautious?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    Am I being over-cautious?

Yes  :)
    If they're in  pots, you don't have to worry. The virus won't be in commercial compost.

Tulips need drier, free draining soil, so if they've been rotting, it's because they don't have that. I generally treat them as annuals, although I mainly keep them potted too which means I can shelter them from the weather when needed. The species ones are easier, but they have a purpose built raised bed with lighter soil,  which helps.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• REMF33REMF33 Posts: 221
    Thanks

I meant, they rotted in the bags they came in!

I pot all my bulbs up in a mixture of compost and grit. Last year's potted ones were depotted and will go in the garden as B list tulips (as I can't be as sure they will come up/be lovely... although some are sprouting! They've been in string vest bags hanging up year.)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347
    Ah - they'd have been better off planted then. 
    I thought you meant they'd rotted in the pots etc.  :)
    I don't lift mine - I just keep them in the pots they're in and keep them as dry as possible, which isn't very easy here. They have to be under something or against a house wall. I just feed them after they're finished flowering and tuck them away.
    I do the same as you though - I often just plant them out and if I get a couple of flowers in future, that's a bonus  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    I do the same as @Fairygirl  ... plant them in bought compost in pots and they’re fine. Did mine a few weeks ago. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh