Forum home Problem solving

Rowan tree not looking healthy

For several years now my rowan tree hasn't really grown. It still produces leaves and berries, but these are very small. It now also has several holes/gashes in the bark on the trunk. We had someone look at it but they weren't sure what was wrong and just removed a couple of small dead branches. I haven't been able to find anything online that seems to match this and wondered if anyone had any ideas and if it is treatable - or beyond saving. The tree is about 30 years old and of great sentimental value, being planted by my late father and the offspring of a tree from my childhood garden.

• A photo of the tree itself plus close ups of the damage may help others to offer some advice :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    It sounds like it's just at the end of it's life.
    Holes in trunks/bark let disease in too, and they can succumb quite quickly to various things if not addressed.
    If it hasn't been growing well over several years, it's probably a combination of factors.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,843
    If there are ripe berries on it now, you could pick some before the birds eat them all and have a go at growing them. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-extract-seeds-from-berries/ .  There's no guarantee of success of course, but I'd say it's worth a try.