Forum home Problem solving

My rowan tree did nothing this year and diseased?

Hi there, my Rowan tree did nothing this year, which I understand they sometimes do? It is now covered in little orange blobs. Can anyone help me out with what to do please ? 🙏🏻🌿

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    Hi @auntieloulou23 and welcome to the forum  :)

If your tree had no leaves at all this year Im afraid it's dead.  We had a very dry spring and it was just too much for some trees ... rowans like a drink.

@fairygirl knows a fair bit about rowans ... let's see if she agrees with me ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    That looks like coral spot, which is a fungal disease, although I would think your tree's already been suffering which makes it more susceptible to all sorts of disease. 
    If there's been no foliage on it, or very little, then I would doubt that's still alive. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,705
    Agree it is Coral spot, which tends to affect trees that are already weak. I am afraid it is a goner.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,976
    I also agree but you can try scraping a bit of bark off a branch in an inconspicuous place. If it's green there is life, if it's brown it's definitely dead. 
    AB Still learning

• Thank you all for your responses. It's definitely dead ! I tried scraping a bit of bark and the branch snapped off...... no sign of life ☹️ 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    It was highly unlikely to be alive - not with the amount of damage seen in that first pic. 
    It has to be cut out right away, and that can sometimes stop it, but that seemed to be on almost the whole tree. 
    An opportunity for something new.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    Yes ... a dead plant is a new planting opportunity ... put garden vouchers on Father Christmas’s list 🎅 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh