Forum home Problem solving

Bulbs growing too quickly??

I planted several bulbs, one pot in the ‘lasagne’ layering method and other pots have either daffodils or tulips plus one has allium and muscari bulbs. They are all covered loosely with black plastic bags and are stored in a shed but they are all growing quickly and this photo shows the tallest ones. Am I doing something wrong or do they normally start to grow this early in November? As I live on the South coast, which has a mild climate, could this be why they’re growing so well?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    I don't understand why you have them indoors in the dark?
    They should be outside. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    Yes, put them outside in a sheltered corner near the house.  

It's only 'prepared' hyacinth bulbs and Paperwhite narcissi that you grow indoors. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It is simply that you are forcing them into early growth by keeping them inside and covering with black plastic.
    They will continue to be pale and leggy in those conditions. They require light once they start to show.
    None of those you mention need to be kept inside.  You may be able to recover them if you leave the plastic off and gradually introduce them to more natural conditions. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,783
    Agree with @Dovefromabove , @Fairygirl and @philippasmith2 ... of course!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    And don't despair ... get them outside now, they'll recover  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ColinAColinA Posts: 264
    Here in the sunny North East i have several Daffodil bulbs showing leaves already in the garden
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 127
    Thank you for your constructive feedback, which I have followed, and am now aware that the advice I was given by a friend on how to store them was incorrect. Hopefully, they will recover next year - just as most of us hope to do after this pandemic! Stay safe!
    If only we grew taller and slimmer by staying indoors 🤣