Forum home Plants

Yuccas

Can yuccas be toxic to other plants? 6 months ago I dug out a large one, for no other reason than we didn't like it and it didn't flower. I noticed, however, that there was a large circular patch, about 3 meters in diameter, where nothing had grown, not even weeds. I sowed some seeds there - nothing. I have heard of this phenomenon with other plants. Any thoughts anyone?

• Never experienced that problem with any of mine :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781
    It’s why they’re called yuccas. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 848
    I find that the area below my yucca is very dry due to its large canopy, while some plants hate that I've found that my Dianthus love these conditions and thrive. I have removed a lot of the lower fronds which has allowed more light as well and I think that helped.
  • What are you on, Pansyface? "Apothegm" = witty, perspicacous, or epigrammatic remark. Yes, OK I'm all of that,but I wanted to know about plant toxicity in respect of other pants.
  • And you have received 2 responses in respect of that.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    I know camels don’t come from Brazil, but someone’s got the hump this weekend camel 🐫 😞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh