Forum home Problem solving

My Raspberries are confused!

My Glen Ample raspberries, which I expected to fruit next summer are flowering and producing tasteless fruit now, in November.  Should I cut the fruitng canes down now or leave them until the spring?  How can I stop them doing this again?

• KlinkKlink Posts: 260
    I don't know the answer but i transplanted six or so Glen Ample raspberries to my new allotment at the start of September.They are now producing flowers and fruit too.
  • Sue42Sue42 Posts: 5
    It would not be so bad if the fruit was not so useless!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,976
    I am afraid it's the Climate/ Weather, I have an Apple tree on my Allotment that has had  a few flower buds late in the year, at the same time as the fruit, for the past 2 seasons. (Perhaps it thinks its a Lemon tree  :D)  If they are normally summer fruiting do not cut them now as they fruit on last seasons wood. They will probably produce more flower & fruit at the correct time. I don't think there is much you can do, a lot of plants are confused at the moment we all have things in flower at the "wrong" time recently.
    AB Still learning

I've just planted another twelve bare root Glen Ample so hopefully next year they'll all get in sync and produce lots of nice new growth and eventually give me lots of raspberries at the right time!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,818
    I don’t know the answer but my blueberries are flowering away just now.🙁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    @pansyface  My blueberries are behaving themselves and have lost their leaves,either that or they've died  :D New allotment = new plants so it could be either.Only time will tell.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,889
    My Polka (autumn fruiting) are also flowering and fruiting again from sideshoots, just as if they would next spring, if I didn't cut them down to the ground each Feb.  I agree that the unusual weather patterns this year are most likely the cause.  While it probably won't affect autumn fruiting types like these much (as the canes will all be cut down in about 3 months anyway), summer-fruiting varieties may well lose some of next year's crop if the canes fruiting now are new ones which grew this spring.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Sue42Sue42 Posts: 5
    Yes, the Glen Ample canes fruiting now were cut down last autumn and not supposed to fruit until the summer of 2021.  I am thinking about reducing the height of the fruiting canes to see whether they then produce fruit at the right time.
  • Klink said:
    I've just planted another twelve bare root Glen Ample so hopefully next year they'll all get in sync and produce lots of nice new growth and eventually give me lots of raspberries at the right time!
    Thompson and Morgan facebook deal? :smiley:
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,825
    edited November 2020
    I would just cut off the flowered and fruited  end bit of the cane. It will send out side shoots to flower next year.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3