Forum home Problem solving

Blood fish and bones

Hello ,
I planted a new golden privet hedge on Tuesday .Blood fish and bone was thoroughly mixed into the planting area but as the hedge is at the front of a house some passing dogs have taken an interest in it and some started digging.(roughly a large handful to every 15L bucket of soil was added). I am now wondering if mulching with fine wood chips  might lock the smell in ?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,178
    Dogs would easily sniff through that and you may end up with woodchip spread around too.
    Sounds like you've added quite a lot of BFB, a scant handful in the planting hole is about all I use.
    I use it in my garden as a spring dressing and my dog takes and interest, as do the foxes.
    After a few rain showers it gets washed-in and is no longer of interest.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,131
    You could try to disguise the smell with some of that anti dog stuff you can buy in garden centres as well. The wood chips will help keep weeds down and moisture in.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,505
    Never use it here. The foxes would dig out anything you planted. Would chips certainly wouldn't deter them. I don't know about dogs. Maybe it would work as well-fed dogs are just curious whereas foxes are looking for food. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,214
    My dog, my neighbour's dog, all the local foxes and possibly the badgers too, all love it. I prefer to be organic but I had to give up and use the chemical stuff - and it is all chemicals, after all, it's just the derivation that differs.