Forum home Wildlife gardening

Does anyone grow ground ivy on purpose?

2»

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Buttercupdays said:
     Holly seedlings are very rare too!

Not in my garden - I have dug out and potted several of them and am nurturing them to go in my native hedgerow along with hazels, hawthorns and a self-sown field maple.  And the self-sown rowan which landed in exactly the right place four or five years ago and is now ten feet tall and very handsome.

Lots of people must grow H. helix on purpose because there's a splendid nursery called Fibrex which offers about 100 different varieties!  I bought seven of them to cover the trunks of some conifers I didn't want to keep.  My favourites are "Yellow Ripple" and "Lalla Rookh".
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 503
    I have planted Glechoma hederacea on purpose in the wilder parts of my garden, where it mingles e.g. with Geranium macrorrhyzum. I madly adore ground ivy, it is such a beautiful plant. For me it is outstanding ground cover. I've had it for a few year now, and it hasn't swamped the place. Perhaps it's early days and I might regret it (I just read on Wikipedia: Like crabgrass, glechoma's root has a tough-to-remove ball (un-belied by its delicate wide leaves). I'm on chalky clay with dry summers, perhaps that helps.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,790
    All super useful info. Thanks. It's very interesting to read. It's growing on our community plot - about two meters by four. I think I'll keep it as a valuable bee plant.
  • It grows in a variety of forms including trailing, shrubby, or as a vine. Reproduction is primarily by seeds that are dispersed by birds and animals. Also, it may spread by rhizomes (horizontal underground stems). Stems are capable of forming roots and sending out new shoots when in contact with soil.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,228
    @bonnie.shona

Its been established that we are discussing Glechoma hedercae, not Hedera helix 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HeliosHelios Posts: 100
    edited November 2020
    Oops, that was a newcomer firmly put in their place. 

I’d been about to ask re an ivy for a pergola post but I might use the wrong Latin name.

Can anyone recommend an ivy for said pergola post? I have no idea which genus I might need.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,790
    edited November 2020
    Dove was polite and clear.

@Helios - I think it's worth starting a new thread to ask about Hedera helix. Ground ivy is a form of dead nettle and has no relation to the twining ivy that grows up trees. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,228
    @helios ... the genus you need is Hedera https://www.finegardening.com/genus/hedera which includes English  Ivy and its many cultivars. 

Nothing to do with the plant which the OP is talking about which is Glechoma hederacae ... a little ground hugging creeping perennial wildflower with little blue flowers looking a bit like dead nettles and Ajugas. 

Lots of ivies to choose from for your pergola post here ... https://www.fibrex.co.uk/collections/hederas

but I’m afraid you’ll find them under their proper name of Hedera ... not common or even a folk or colloquial name ... 😉 

I know some folk find using the binomial names pedantic or think it’s elitist, but when you’ve read as many disappointed posts as I have over the years, from folk who’ve bought plants labelled as geraniums and had them die over winter because they’re really pelargoniums, and had to explain this to them, you might begin to understand why I try to use the proper names when I’m aware that the common name is used for more than one unrelated type of plant, and I try to clarify this on the thread otherwise posters can go off at several different tangents. 

I try to be straight forward and matter of fact about this rather than risk being accused of being patronising. However I s’pose I’ve been around long enough to know and accept that you can’t please all the people all the time, and if someone wants to have a dig they’ll find a reason. 

However, it is worth mentioning that first posts which are straight cut & paste jobs from a passage of text from elsewhere are not uncommon on here, especially over the weekend and early in the morning  ... and are often used as a marker to be followed up by the posting of an advert.  

I will continue to try to answer the question asked ... if I know the answer 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HeliosHelios Posts: 100
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the clear [email protected] I’ll have a look at your links. So many ‘ivies’/hederas to choose from.