Forum home Wildlife gardening

Does anyone grow ground ivy on purpose?

FireFire LondonPosts: 11,200
I have lots of it and wonder if anyone likes it for wildlife and the flowers?
Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,837
    Are we talking Glechoma hederacae or Hedera helix? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SpikyButStunningSpikyButStunning North YorkshirePosts: 2
    edited November 2020
    There are some attractive variegated cultivars - Glechoma hederacae 'Variegata' and others - that look good trailing down a drystone wall or rockery edge.
  • I don't have it, but if some appeared I wouldn't pull it up.
    I generally welcome all wildflowers, though I do control would-be world dominaters, and ragwort for the benefit of of my and my neighbours' livestock.
  • I recall that your post was actually about ivy on the ground, not the wildflower.
    The front of my house is covered in ivy (H. Goldheart) and so is the side of the garage. It seems disinclined to grow horizontal; though it will grow up the roof of the house, the flat roof on the garage is carpeted by moss instead.
    I have to clip it to retain some control, but I leave arboreal stems where I can and it is always full of bird's nests. The pied wagtails nest in it every year and this year there was a goldfinch, a dunnock and a blackbird too and those are only the ones that I know about. The ivy flowers attract lots  of insects, though are usually a bit too early for bees here.
    I have never found a self- sown ivy seedling, so all the fruits must get eaten by something. Holly seedlings are very rare too!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,393
    I have grown Hedera 'Duck Foot' as a ground cover for many years.
    A trim back about once a year stops it getting into shrubs etc.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,277
    I have ivy Hedera helix swamping everything on the ground, it kills everything else and does it's best to get up trees posts and anything it can cling onto.It's a real nightmare to get out as well. The only thing that stops it is sunlight and larger plants that die back over winter managing to swamp it, the best plant to keep it in it's place here is ground elder.. which is really not an improvement!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,200
    Ground ivy - Glechoma hederacae.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,200
    I recall that your post was actually about ivy on the ground, not the wildflower.
    That wasn't me.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,966
    I think ground ivy is very pretty when growing wild in the countryside but I would only plant it in a wild bit of garden not in my borders.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,022
    We have ground ivy growing in our lawn, and I love it.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore