Forum home Plants

Can I grow honeysuckle up a tree?

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,133
    40 plus years old.  It was regularly pollarded for quite a while, then the last people here let it grow big ... when we came here in 2012 ish we had it taken back pretty much like yours has been done ... this year it didn't look too healthy and was late into leaf ... we consulted a really reputable tree surgeon (he does stuff for the National Trust and English Heritage) and he recommended taking it right back to the original pollarded stumps which is what he did earlier this month ... £650 but money well spent ... it's close to our house as well as the neighbours. We'll re-pollard it every three years or so ... it should be doable from a ladder with loppers.   
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Your situation mirrors mine except mine is worse haha. I believe the tree was last pollarded to fence height over 40 years ago and the later occupants just left it alone, although I'll have to count the rings to be completely sure. But your explanation gives me some reassurance that it'll be fine, I might get it pollarded like yours after 5 years if it follows the same pattern as your tree. You got a bargain, especially with a well reputed surgeon! :open_mouth: Did you have any major issues with water sprouts after the 2012 cut?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,133
    edited November 2020
    No water sprouts at all ... but they did it in November and only removed one third of the branches ... they said that if we wanted we could remove one third every few years, but we decided to go the whole pollarding route this time. 

My brother is a farmer and has a fair idea of the cost of such work ... he thought it was a bargain too, especially as the work was done in such a difficult confined space (there's a neighbour's greenhouse just over the fence), and has taken this chap's details.  He's very well recommended.  Shame you're not in Norfolk or Suffolk.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh right I see. Living in the capital means there's a sea of cowboys and silly prices, I suspect I will pay the equivalent of a removal in 5 years :neutral: Ah well, I'll just hope for the best and plant replacements to take over just in case (although nowhere near as tall haha)