Forum home Plants

Choice of tree

I’m hoping to plants a Sorbus tree in our small front garden. I’ve selected three trees: Embley, Eastern Promise, and Olympic Flame. 
My criteria is to have good autumn colour, berries and shape of tree. Has anyone got any personal preferences on the trees I have chosen to fit my criteria 
Thank you.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,511
    Olympic Flame is the most "columnar" of the three, I think, which might affect your choice if space is limited.  I've seen Embley in autumn and it was magnificent - but I've yet to see a rowan I didn't fall for... we have the native one in this garden and I love it.  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 474
    I've seen better examples of Embley and Olympic Flame than I have Eastern Promise, particularly when it comes to autumn colour.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,121
    We have an Eastern Promise.  It has struggled to get established, so is still quite small after 2-3 years, but that's local conditions (heavy clay, hot summers), rather than it being genetically weaker I think.  The Autumn colour is nice, but not amazing.  We have pruned off the lower branches, so that it is a standard shape.  I'm very happy with it, we didn't want anything that grows too fast.