Forum home Plants

Cotoneaster cornubia - how toxic to dogs? Should it be removed?

rsmith040rsmith040 Posts: 5
edited November 2020 in Plants
We are planning on welcoming a puppy to our family and wanted to get a definitive answer on whether we should remove our catoneaster cornubia trees? The Gardeners World website says this tree can be toxic to dogs - but the tree doesn't appear on other lists of plants that are poisonous to dogs (RHS/Dogs Trust).  I would welcome any views. Thanks.
«1

Posts

  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,739
    Cotoneaster cornubia makes a tree that can reach 4 to 8m high and wide.   A puppy or dog may get a stomach upset or diarrhoea from ingesting berries as can humans.  on the other hand, the flowers, berries and shelter these plants provide are invaluable to many insects, birds and small creatures.

    There will be far worse things your puppy will investigate in your garden and on walks so the best advice is to go to puppy training classes where he will be taught his social manners and also learn the commands "No" and "Leave it".
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for speedy reply.
  • I rather think if you were to remove all possible toxic trees/shrubs/flowers you would end up with a rather sterile patch.
    I imagine if you are obtaining a puppy, you won't be leaving it to it's own devices in your garden - you would be in attendance and able to ensure he/she does not start eating something which may not be good for it.
    There are one or two threads on this subject so it may pay to have a look and see if you can garner some advice on training your new family member :)  
  • Yes - that's what we were thinking when we saw the list of everything that could be harmful. I agree - we won't be leaving her to her own devices and she will be supervised - just wanted a sense check and to avoid obvious risks.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I'll have a look at the other threads.
  • Wuff :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781
    So far as I know, an unattended bar of chocolate is much more of a danger to a puppy than anything it will mooch around for and eat in the garden.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    edited November 2020
    Not to mention foil wrapped chocolate Father Christmases hanging on a Christmas tree ... these can be sucked empty by a determined labrador ...leaving the  foil still dangling by the gold thread on the tree ...  fortunately he was a sturdy chap and very resilient and suffered no ill effects other than a squiffy tummy. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,083
    @Dovefromabove - my husky didn't bother to remove the foil wrappers, she just ate the whole lot, destroying the large Christmas tree in the process. Fortunately she also didn't suffer any ill effects (and the foil wrappers reappeared the other end...)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    @Singing Gardener  :)    @WonkyWomble's Lego, wax crayon wrappers, and the plastic wrappers from defrosting meat were regularly scattered 'in heaps' around our garden when our labrador was young  :o 🙄  Wax crayons seemed to have a similar effect on the digestive system to Liquid Paraffin. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • Thanks for all your replies. Good reminder re chocolate and Christmas tree chocs. 
Sign In or Register to comment.