Forum home The potting shed

What's On The Radio ...

steveTusteveTu Posts: 888
edited November 2020 in The potting shed
Anyone else listen(ed)ing to Entangled Life on Radio 4?
Zombie fungi anyone? Who'd be an ant?

'...Merlin Sheldrake is a biologist and a writer. He received a Ph.D. in Tropical Ecology from Cambridge University for his work on underground fungal networks in tropical forests in Panama, where he was a predoctoral research fellow of the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. He is a musician and keen fermenter. Entangled Life is his first book. In Episode 3 we learn how some fungi can infiltrate their host and make them behave entirely to the fungi’s advantage, killing the host in the process....'

Edited to add: A bit ghoulish, but this article goes into the same area:

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)

• Fascinating stuff, thank you. I remember a pop sci piece by Chris Packham a while ago about some kind of larvae or worm that invades caterpillars, grows in their eyes, and also controls their movements. There are also arthropods that latch onto host fish, remove the fish's tongue, and replace it with themselves so they get a constant supply of food and protection. 

Nature is quite incredible!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    I meant to listen to it but it began at half past midnight and, for once, I was asleep.

Here it is for anyone who wants to catch up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pm12

I’d seen the ant story on some David Attenborough programme years ago. Weird. 

But then I, still the voice in the wilderness, am saying that COVID-19 is controlling our minds and making us get together in groups when logic says we should not.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 888
    You just get the impression that when we eventually fully understand the world (if that's ever possible) it will be weirder than any science fiction story. Fascinating though - and scary as Sheldrake starts off by talking the use of fungal derived drugs and, via the ants , went on to talk about the use of those drugs on the human mind.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio..
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Only too true - science only ever knows what it knows at a point in time.
    'Standing on the shoulders of giants' has multiple meanings.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,495
    I'm going to have bad dreams about that tongue thing😟
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • @B3  You will be OK if you snore carefully ( mouth closed )  :D

Perhaps best to assume that Nature in all it's forms has been going a bit longer than we humans have and we can still learn a thing or two.  Whether we choose to of course is always open to debate ;)
    What went through what's left of my mind was that we're starting to realise how important the bacteria etc are within our bodies, but how do we know that we're not being controlled like the ants? Does the micro-life that we all have inside us make humans act completely differently to what they would do 'normally'? I was just about to say - 'what the heck - we are what we are' - but is that the bacteria making me think that way? Who needs insane conspiracy theories about micro chips injected with vaccines? - nature does weirder stuff than that. Maybe midichlorians exist. Hail Lucas the prophet....

• B3B3 Posts: 15,495
    There are theories that the gut microbiome may be a factor in the development of autism and other conditions.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Just heard on Radio 4 that Singapore has approved the sale of lab grown meat. An American company is growing meat from stem cells in a lab.
    So, so many questions. Does this meat then ever live? And if it is classed as 'live' then what does that do to other definitions of 'live'? If it isn't 'live' and is just a bunch of chemicals (as meat is) - does that mean that it is in some way vegetarian? Could you create 'meat' (is it meat anyway?) from human stem cells? Is that cannibalism?
    Maybe the argument will be in the source of the stem cell - but if you trace the source of all things back to their building blocks, they're all the same.
    Things are moving so fast. Soylent Green came to mind for some reason.