Forum home Problem solving

Bougainvillea flowering problem

Hello,
I have a bougainvillea plant in a pot. Earlier entire plant used to flower, but a few months ago I cut it and since then it only flowers on the tips. And also, the branches are growing longer than earlier. Can I get initial condition of my plant back? Where did I go wrong? Please help. Thank you in advance. :) 
(Posting before and after photos)

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    Bourgainvillea is a vigorous climbing vine, it would cover your entire balcony given the chance and the right conditions, so growing long stems is what it wants to do. I suspect it is putting it’s energy into growing rather than flowering just now, but how it behaves and whether it thrives depends where in the UK/world you are? I live in Spain but can’t grow it in my garden because my altitude is too high and winters are too cold for it to survive outdoors.

Keeping it in a pot will restrict it’s vigour and growth, it can be pruned and trained but it can’t really be kept as a neat shrub if that was the initial condition you mention. You could try training it up an obelisk to keep it more manageable. Keep it fairly dry over winter and protected from frost. It needs a free-draining soil so the planting medium in the pot is relevant too.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,780
    edited November 2020
    @Nollie  😊 Moonlight lives in India. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    Thanks @Dovefromabove I had a feeling it wasn’t the UK!
  • Thank you @Nollie . :)