Forum home The potting shed

Verbena cuttings

Hello

I took some verbena bonariensis cuttings which have rooted well and are now in their own pots in my conservatory.  What do I do with them now?? Do they die off in the pots and then I plant them out in the spring or should I plant them outside now??

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    Just keep them ticking over through winter. I'm assuming they aren't very big plants. 

Planting out is determined by the climate and conditions where you live. If you had them outdoors already - in a cold frame, or even just with some basic shelter, you could leave them there all winter and plant in spring, or even plant out now if you live somewhere warmer and drier. They would already be well accustomed to weather conditions. 
    As they're in a conservatory, it's probably better to leave them there until spring and then harden them off a bit before planting out. In a colder, wetter area, they would struggle. 
    I have some small plants outdoors under a bench. They've been there for months. They'll stay there as it wouldn't be suitable for them to be planted out. Depending on the severity of conditions, I may move them into the greenhouse, as they don't always survive winter here unless they have protection from other plants, and are in a drier bed.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fairygirl! Yes they are only small plants about 6-7 inches tall.  I will leave them in the conservatory ticking over and hardening them off before planting out in the spring.  Thanks for your help.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    I take cuttings every year as back up, as they're very easy to do.
    If you cut bits off in summer, and put them round the edge of a pot of compost, you'll get plenty of new plants  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....