Forum home Problem solving

Mini chip bark

I've recently starting using Westland mini bark mulch in the garden. The problem is I have mixed the mulch into the soil during planting in the last month. Will this mulch mixed in the soil be harmful to the pH value of the soil and what other problems could arise in the next year 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,362
    No - you can't change the basic pH of the soil long term, just by adding a bit of organic material   :)
    It won't cause any problems, so don't worry. It will just break down and be absorbed into the soil   :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the positive comment. 
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 478
    Depending on how much you use you might like Melcourt Industries composted bark. It's not really adding organic matter, more a soil structure improver and weed suppressing mulch. https://www.melcourt.co.uk/product/mc-composted-fine-bark/
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,978
    Some books will tell you that too much chipped bark will "rob" nitrogen from the soil as it breaks down but in practice you would have to use an awful lot of it for that to happen. Many people have mulched with wood mulch or chipped bark for years with no detriment to their plants. Sometimes I add a little wood chip to my compost bin to balance up the amount of green I have, it breaks down very well.
    AB Still learning