Forum home Plants

Dhalia

plumbplumb Posts: 56
Do you have to wait for a frost to kill off the foliage or can they be lifted anytime.

• As a child I helped my father every year lift the tubers and store them in a cool place. When we had our own garden I was delighted to find dahlias and so did exactly what my father and I had done for years.
    Disaster. They all rotted. I couldn't explain why.
    So in recent years I have planted tubers and left them in the ground and this year was the best display.
    However if we get a very cold winter like in 2010 I will probably not have any tubers left.
    The frost here has already killed off the foliage.
  • plumbplumb Posts: 56
    Thank you but wanted to know, do you have to wait for foliage to die, or can you lift while some foliage still green, or does it not matter.

• You would wait for the foliage to die back because if they are still green then they are stilll producing food and sending it down to the tuber.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,665
    No, you don't have to wait for the frost to kill the foliage, although as bertrand-mabel says, the longer you leave them, the more growth the tubers will make.
    I have always lifted mine in late October, early November.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    If you're in a very wet area, it would be better to lift them too, even if you haven't had frosts.
    In a milder area, you may not get too many frosts by this point, but leaving them until much later than this means a risk of them rotting instead, so the timing is important.
    A combination of cold and wet is fatal. You can really only leave them in the ground if you have the right conditions for them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Great thanks
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,148
    I would advise lifting them and turning them upside down to dry off in a shed or greenhouse if you can, before storing them.
    Yep done that thanks, only taken up the ones where foliage has died, left the others.Thank you all, fortunately not much rain in Essex last month or so
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    Ah - I think a lot of people in Essex leave them in the ground, as it's such a dry area. 
    It might be worth experimenting - leave some and lift some. Even a mulch of compost or a cloche with fleece can be more than enough to guard against cold. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Well the ones lifted today have loads of tuba, so going to plant in infill areas next year and leave them in ground ,as you say to experiment.