Forum home Problem solving

Bare root roses

Am I right in thinking this is a good time to purchase and plant bare root roses? If not, when is the best time please?
Apologies if this has been asked recently but I couldn't find anything. Recommendations as to where to purchase would also be useful. Many thanks 

• OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 1,276
    Yes Nov - Mar, lots of options for bare root suppliers depending on what you are looking for? David Austin has a 15% off code, I think the current one is James. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    Bumping this thread up in the hope of some advice. 
    I've just received a bare root rose, but at the moment the soil is frozen so l'm unable to plant it.
    The forecast by early next week is for mild if windy weather,  so at least l'll be able to heel it in for a week or so until l decide on its final location. 
    In the meantime what is the best thing for me to do with it ? I keep reading conflicting advice, leave the roots to soak, put inin the garage, etc. 
    Many thanks for any advice  :)
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 274
    Hi @AnniD when i had my last delivery of bare root roses i couldn't plant them for a while either. They arrived with the roots wrapped in a clear plastic bag with advice that it was ok to leave it like that for up to 10 days. Hope this helps?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    Thanks @gjautos, l'm too much of a wimp to venture outside in this weather  :)
    Hopefully l can get it in the ground Monday or Tuesday, even if only in a temporary position. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,592
    @Omori mentioned a DA code. Does any one know if JAMES is a current code or have an updated discount? Thanks
  • OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 1,276
    I believe DA usually do another 15% in March for bare roots but I'm not 100% sure on that, perhaps someone else can confirm?