Forum home Plants

Is it too late to move shrubs?

SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 73
I have decided to move 3-4 small shrubs from their current locations to spots where I think they'll be happier, but I am worried I may have left it a bit late.
It's still very mild in SW London, so should I go ahead before it gets properly cold or wait until early next autumn?
Your opinion would be very appreciated.

For info, the shrubs in questions are Cestrum newelii and Corea blackhouseana.

Thank you!

• I only know Cestrum parquii - in full flower at present here in SW UK - they tend to be quick growers but will recover after hard pruning.  Really depends on the size and how quickly you can remove and replant - before it knows what's happening basically ;)
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,176
    If you do go ahead,dig the new holes in preparation first (over estimate the size you need). I've been moving things this week and they've been in the new ground before they know it  :)  
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 73
    Thank you very much everyone. So I will go ahead before the weather turns and do as @AnniD recommends and dig the holes ahead. Thankfully they're not massive shrubs so hopefully all will go well and be done quickly.

• sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 261
    You might like to use mycorrhizal fungi on the roots and in the planting hole, too, just to help them along. I don't know how helpful it is, but I do it.:)
  • Simple answer.  NO.  The soil is still reasonably warm albeit perhaps a bit wet.  Simply dig up your subject, with as much surroung soil s possible.  Having pre-esti mated what size hole is needed plant it and firm it in.   It is a matter of choice whether to add rooting chemicals or not.  In most cases, such additive are a waste of money.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    I would do it now, and it sounds as if it's milder where you are. They'll have time to put on some root growth before the tops start into growth in spring, and nature will do some of the watering for you (but do make sure they don't dry out if you have a dry mild spell). If you have mycorrhizal fungi you could use it, but it's not really necessary. I certainly wouldn't buy it specially. Likewise adding some bonemeal to the soil - add a bit if you have some handy. Don't use nitrogen-rich fertiliser now - you could give them a sprinkling of that in the spring if you like.
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 73
    Thank you everyone for your advice! That's it, dungarees are on and I'm off to wield the spade on this sunny afternoon. As it happens, I do have some mycorrhizal fungi at hand and will put down a sprinkling of that, it won't hurt.