Forum home Plants

Cyclamen confusion

Good afternoon. Please could anyone tell me which cyclamen this is? A neighbour gave me two a few years ago, it took all these years before flowering. She had said one was coum and one was hederofolium. I can't ask her now, she is not well. This has formed a big mound and recently flowered. When you google autumn flowering cyclamen the information is confusing. Some websites/shops say it's coum and say it's hederfolium. Some say coum is spring some say it's autumn. It doesn't make any sense. I want to purchase some more of these - and I think it's coum. I don't want the spring flowering one, I want this one. I look forward to any answers. Thank you in advance. 

• I am a novice , but looked quite a lot at this gentleman's youtube videos to educate myself . Pointy edged leaf shape and fact its already flowered ( assuming you are in the UK) suggests hederfolium (sp) to me . Happy to be educated otherwise. this may help ( youtube video re distinguishing ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIqkeXxSqrE
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • Hi thank you for the video I will have a look. Yes I am in the UK, I should have said!! Any further answers welcome. 
  • His pronunciation is interesting. For example I never knew Coum was pronounced Co-ums as per Co-op. Lol. I thought it was Coom, to rhyme with room. Also I thought it was hedEROfolium, not hederfolium. Anyway, it's irrelevant how it's pronounced but it's very useful, thanks. 
  • you and me both re co-um and coom!
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • Looks like Hederafolium to me ... we have Coum as well and the flowers are smaller than the Heds ... in this garden they both flower in the autumn.

Our Heds were all white, but of late we've had pink ones appear ... think they've been cross pollinated with some pink ones in a neighbour's garden. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Your Cyclamen is Cyclamen hederifolium.

Pic 1 and 2 show Cyclamen hederifolium leaf to left and Cyclamen coum leaf to right.
    Other pics show Cyclamen hederifolium.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • you and me both re co-um and coom!
    I still think it is actually COOM. I have never heard anyone else call it CO-OM (Co-op). 
  • Your Cyclamen is Cyclamen hederifolium.

Pic 1 and 2 show Cyclamen hederifolium leaf to left and Cyclamen coum leaf to right.
    Other pics show Cyclamen hederifolium.

Wow what amazing photographs - thank you for sharing and information. I shall go ahead and buy the hederfoliums if I can find them .
  • Looks like Hederafolium to me ... we have Coum as well and the flowers are smaller than the Heds ... in this garden they both flower in the autumn.

Our Heds were all white, but of late we've had pink ones appear ... think they've been cross pollinated with some pink ones in a neighbour's garden. 
    Thank you - it looks like the consensus so far is Hederafolium...
  • Cyclamen coum flowers are different.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .