Forum home The potting shed

Water meters

B3B3 Posts: 15,429
I heard an interesting thing today.
Your water bill is divided into two parts. One element is the charge for disposal of sewage.
The water you pour in your garden does not enter the sewerage system and is therefore not chargeable.
All you need to do is attach a water meter to the pipe that feeds your garden hose and tell the water company how much of your water supply went into the garden to apply for a refund.
This option is ,apparently, well hidden in the water company's websites but it is there for your average internet sleuth to find.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,500
    That is interesting. Are you allowed to fit one yourself?

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,874
    Sewage obviously comes from your toilet, would you be putting THAT on your garden!!Different from "waste water" you cannot add the amount of rain that falls on your plot
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,313
    edited November 2020
    Sewage obviously comes from your toilet, would you be putting THAT on your garden!!Different from "waste water" you cannot add the amount of rain that falls on your plot
    Partially right ... but most of the water you draw from the mains via your taps goes down the drains when you've used it ... via the plug holes etc and the sewage charge includes an element to pay for the disposal of that.

What's being spoken of is that you can measure the amount of water that comes from your garden tap onto the garden via your hosepipe, sprinkler and watering can and delete  the disposal charge for that amount that from the total amount used.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,429
    That's what I meant. It's your pipe going into the garden .you can fit it . You're not interfering with the water company's measurements.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,429
    @strelitzia32 . I haven't looked at your links yet, but the person who mentioned it said the meter cost about £25, 15 years ago and he has saved about £130 a year.
    Apparently he has a big garden and grows vegetables but it can't be that big even in posh outer London.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,197
    That's really interesting. I believe that we in the Isle of Wight were the first to be trialed with water meters and I have never heard a whisper about this. We were told it would cut our water bills because usage would drop and it did drop for a time, but the billing was adjusted to take account of the lower usage so we paid just as much for less.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,016
    edited November 2020
    The sub meter costs around £30. I would want a plumber to fit it but have little idea what they would charge - £50? How long would it take to reclaim that investment? I know that depends on how much water you put on your garden but is anyone able to offer some examples?

Furthermore I don’t have a water meter so would this work for me? If I told my water company I put X cubic metres on to the garden could they work out what % that was of the consumption they estimate I have used based on the rateable value of my house all those years ago? Might they then say I am using an excessive amount on the garden - though I don’t think I am - and insist a meter is installed in my property?

And just to complicate my situation further, I get water from Severn Trent but Anglian provides sewerage - or the other way round, I can never remember.

I’d welcome observations.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 431
    edited November 2020
    The guidelines in Anglia - are that a basic assumption is made that 10% does not go into the sewer, so you have to show that you more than 10% in ways that divert it to get a reduction.

It reads to me as if it is probably only available to people who have a main meter fitted.
    https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/account-and-bill/tariffs-and-charges/sewerage-abatements/

Which might suggest you will need a meter to get these potential reductions.

That fits with my area, Severn Trent, where you are supposed to have a meter if you use an auto-watering system:

Don’t forget, if you use a sprinkler, other automatic garden watering systems (including a perforated hose), or have a swimming pool using mains water, you need to have a meter fitted • All new properties will have one. Existing customers can also apply for a meter
    https://www.stwater.co.uk/content/dam/stw/my-account/our-charges/stw-summary-of-charges-2019-20.pdf

I would say a more fruitful approach might be to create a decent sized rainwater storage tank, and use that with a pump. I may go for this when I do a small extension in a year or two. Not cheap, but not *that* expensive depending on what you would save, and how the calculations work out. One  way is to use a standard "onion" septic tank.

That way you avoid wasting expensively treated tap water on the garden, and save on meterage charges on the water coming in if you have a meter as most do now.

Plus the benefits of rainwater over tapwater, and the warm glow of not using treated water where it is not needed.

Ferdinand

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,197
    We have had drought for 3 summers. We would need a tank the size of a swimming pool.