Forum home Plants

Shrub inspiration please

13»

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,751
    Nandina...Yes..super plants. Very easy to look after.

Nandina domestica is taller than N. Fire power/Lemon Lime..last 2 are short.
    I feel far happier that you are buying locally...your nursery will know what suits your climate.
    Pics below show Nandina domestica.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,293
    I have several nandinas, found them to be tough as old boots. Nice shrubs.
    As @silver surfer says, if they're on sale locally that's probably a good sign. 
     :) 

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 2,770
    They look good @Silver surfer. The ones in the GC didn't look much in their little pots, it's great to see their potential. A definite one to consider. Thank you so much for your help, it is very kind and very constructive. 

Are you familiar with Lagerstroemia, another one there were a lot of in the GC.
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    This is the dwarf Nandina domestica Fire Power.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited 13 January

Are you familiar with Lagerstroemia, another one there were a lot of in the GC.
    Lagerstroemia....Glorious trees/shrubs. Love them but never grown them.
    Pretty flowers. Bark can be amazing too.
    Too cold here.
    Having said that maybe someone here has grown them in a warmer area.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,269
    I had 2 sorts of Nandina in my French garden of the house I've just sold. One was the tall one with red berries, had it for years in a semi shaded place, grew quite slowly but is now taller than me and has a lot of berries. The other is a short golden green one that gets a red flush to its leaves. They look just like the ones that @Silver surfer has posted.

I also had a pink, shrubby, multi stemmed Lagerstroemia, but it flowered very late. I'd wanted a late summer flowerer, not a late autumn one. But the trees are very pretty in Périgueux and Bergerac, where they do well. A bit further south than you though.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 2,770
    Thanks @Busy-Lizzie, great to have local feedback. :)

I hope it won't be too long before you have unpacked inside and can get started in the garden. I'm not enjoying these wet dull days here at the moment, I preferred the snow and frosts if anything, at least it was pretty. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    Thank you to everyone for their input on this thread, Nandina domestica and Euonymus alatus are ordered and on their way! Especial thanks to @Silver surfer for really good detailed information and advice. :)

Watch this space for future pictures.