Forum home Problem solving

Calicarpa in a pot?

Hi, 

a recent impulse purchase saw us coming home with one of these plants, it is quite a large specimen, already over 2 metres in a 10l pot. 
We are struggling to find a location for it where it can be appreciated in the winter, and I was wondering if a (very) large pot would be ok?
Does anyone have experience of keeping Calicarpa this size in pots? We would love to keep it on the patio during winter!

• It is a striking plant this time of the year. Ours is in the ground.
    Yes you can keep it in a pot but you need to make sure that it doesn't dry out or get waterlogged. The size of the pot looks ok from the photo but check to see if roots are coming out the bottom. If so a replant would be needed in the spring. Don't plant it up into a very large pot, it won't like the huge jump.
    It is supposed to like a sunny position but ours is in semishade.
  • Thank you, I’ll give a pot a try!
  • Apparently to get the beautiful berries in any number you have to grow several plants together. As each individual plant can grow to about 8 feet (2.5 metres) across by about 10 feet high, there could be problems. The exception is the cultivar 'Profusion' which will fruit grown as a solo plant but still grows to this size.

I always say that you can grow any plant in a pot as long as the pot is big enough and correct feeding is followed but this one would (as you can see) require a pot at least the size of a galvanized dustbin. That being said, growing it in a smaller pot would probably limit its size but whether you would then get it to fruit I just don't know. Somebody else may be able to tell you but I doubt if any one here has actually tried it.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,125
    I am surprised it is surviving in that pot, honestly. It needs something much bigger. Although most things can be grown in pots they need very special care and I believe yours will be happier in the ground. I don't really understand what you mean about keeping it where it can be appreciated in winter; don't you enjoy all your garden all year?
  • Having a plant like this away from the house persuades you to go out and explore the garden in bad weather to see what is going on. You will always find a little surprise of some kind.
    I have a callicarpa growing in my garden, about 12 yrs old, it has never carried many berries but I have now put that down to shallow, poor soil, I also tried a light prune but realised It fruits on 2nd year growth. my next ploy is to give it some well rotted farmyard manure to help it along. It doesn't help that my sister also has a callicarpa in her garden which is thick with berries every year so it could partly be a variation in the stock.
    Any plant can be grown in a pot but it will never be as happy as when grown in the garden where it is meant to be.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,546
    I get good berrying from a single plant, so don't worry about that.

Agree pot is far too small.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Thank you all for your input. 

It is the ‘Profusion’ variety, so I believe this should fruit ok on its own. 

Just to add, the pot it is in came from the garden centre, I don’t intend on keeping it in there, just need to work out what to do next! 

It it may not look like it in the photo, but the berries are currently plentiful and we enjoy viewing them from inside, next to the window. This wouldn’t be possible in the ground as our borders are away from the house.  We also have a garden treatment room which is across the patio, and I’m sure my partners massage clients would appreciate the winter colour, which could only be achieved if it were in a pot.

I will have to have another think about planting it out, it seems like the correct option!