Forum home Plants

Anybody know the name of this flowering shrub?

imdejongimdejong The NetherlandsPosts: 8
On my walk I come across this shrub that is in flower now with quite some bees flying around it. Am considering it for my own garden, but don’t know the name of this plant. Does anybody know?

• imdejongimdejong The NetherlandsPosts: 8

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,864
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I think you are absolutely right, thanks Obelixx!
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,482
    Wonder is it is actually Fatshedra x Lizei. the leaves look more like Ivy than straight Fatsia ones do. Probably me that is wrong though.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,864
    No, I think you have [email protected]https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/51972/x-Fatshedera-lizei/Details   New one on me but looks interesting.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thank you both for your input. I checked again but I tend to think Obelixx was right. The leaf is 8-pointed which is quite typical for Fatsia apparantly. The Fatshedera has 5-pointed leafs as far as I can tell. Besides, the leafs are absolutely huge, but it doesn’t show that well on the picture. Larger than my hands :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    If it's Fatsia jap  [ and I think that's what it is]  they take quite a few years to reach flowering stage  :)
    Mine has a couple of large buds just now. It's been in about 6  or 7 years. I seem to remember the  one I had in a previous garden was the same. 

I wasn't familiar with the other one mentioned, but it seems to be not very hardy. I would have thought it might not do well in the Netherlands? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Hello Fairygirl, fatsia jap has the reputation it is not quite winter hardy but even in the Netherlands it can apparently do quite well if it is not exposed to (cold) wind, or that’s what I’ve been reading online now that I know the name of the plant :) This one has grown to two meters in height so it probably has been around for quite a while and I’ve only just noticed. Moreover, winters have been changing quite dramatically in the Netherlands due to global warming, the last couple of years. My rose that is supposed to only flower in June and July has just started it’s third bloom in November. My viola odorata are already in bloom. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,860
    I agree with Fatsia japonica. Mine is flowering just now too.