Forum home Fruit & veg

Cabbage plants being eaten

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 84
I didn't think anything would be about to eat my Autumn planted cabbages, the young plants began to get eaten days after putting them outside, this was slugs and I used beer in Yogurt pots to see them off, now something else is eating the leaves and the leaves look like they have been peppered with shot from a shotgun, I have then under clotches, is it some sort of flea beetle?

• koyukanokoyukano Posts: 52
    I did the same thing and direct sown my cabbages in autumn, they grew well for a couple of weeks, then something ate them on mass and just little stumps were left. I did not net mine as I didn't think many insects would be about in October time.

I found a few caterpillars on them but not too many holes on the plants, it was more a the plants were doing okay one evening, next day all had been obliterated. I grew them in my back garden so was keeping an eye on them and did not notice any pigeons or anything trying to eat them, there were a few very small flies on them when I was removing the caterpillars. 

I'm convinced it was either birds, flies or caterpillars that did the damage, I don't think it was slugs for me. In the future I'll net mine and maybe grow them in my greenhouse from seed until the plants are a little more established and then transplant them out and hopefully they will be a bit stronger if I do that next time. 

Just thought I'd offer my experience as it sounds similar to yours. I think netting the plants, growing in greenhouse and transplanting them and then having sacrificial plants nearby could all be means of having better success next year. Good luck with yours :-) 
  • Do you have pigeons near you? They are constantly eating the leaves of any veg plants out in the open here.
  • pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 84
    No pigeons my cat eats pigeons so they stay well clear
  • pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 84
    I sprayed them with bug killer anyway, hopefully, that should kill or prevent them.